Monday, July 31, 2017

Marvel-ous Mondays: "In the Path of Solam!" by Drake, Heck, and Tartaglione

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Ya know, I've been accused of having little-to-no taste, but I yam what I yam, and I yam one who digs Don Heck's art on these early Captain Marvel epics. I guess the kid in me (who totally flipped for this particular ish) is still alive and well and in control. If that's good or bad, I dunno, but hey, I'm having a good time here! Captain Marvel #6 (July 1968) was my first dose of our Space Born Super-Hero (which may explain a lot!) and, as I said, it blew me away. Colorful, action packed, easy to digest art (and I have to say, some of those Don Heck/John Tartaglione panels still make my pulse pound: the splash; the second panel of page 5; panel 1 on page 15; all of page 19; and the top panel of page 20), and a fun story by Arnold Drake with a good mix of superheroics, sci-fi, and soap opera. Oh, and I didn't buy this one--got it from one of my uncles on a family vacation. It was coverless, and if I'd seen it with the cover I'd probably have flipped even more, 'cause I do so dig that cover (never actually saw it until I got Internet in 1998, by the way). Anyhow, I still have a soft spot for this ish, so I hope you can share at least some of my enjoyment as we find ourselves..."In the Path of Solam!"





















3 comments:

  1. You and me brother! I still remember reading this particular issue in the rain under a homemade lean-to nibbling on a pickle loaf sandwich. That's pretty particular I know, but it's a sign how much these early Captain Marvel comics inserted themselves into my memory and imagination. Don Heck takes a lot of incoming, but he's always been a fave. This comic shows his dynamic storytelling.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green Marvell is best Marvell!!! Heck was in a very unenviable position of following Colin on Marvell and a few years later on DD. Why Stan Lee would do that to him/ us I have no idea .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one, Groove! A fun issue. I've always really dug Marvel's Captain Marvel. I'm actually one of the few people I know who is not a fan of his death. (A good story, but a waste of a great character).

    The art in this issue was awesome as well, but I'm getting a distinct Ditko vibe from it. In fact, a lot of the pages remind me of Ditko's work on Captain Atom. (Another famous white haired superhero captain).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!