Friday, November 16, 2012

The Grooviest Covers of All Time: Dave Cockrum Covers the X-Men

Sometimes ya just wanna sit back and enjoy looking at beautiful art, y'know? Ol' Groove doesn't know how many hours he's spent admiring Dave Cockrum's covers on the early years of the All-New, All-Different X-Men--and he doesn't really care! Seems like one just can't spend enough time perusing these powerhouse mini-posters. Thought you might wanna join me...








Of course, after Delightful Dave ended his tenure as regular X-Men artist, the cool covers kept on comin'. We'll look at those in a future post, dig?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I had some of those issues Delightful Dave drew. Man, he drew the Juggernaut as a real giant in isuues #102 & #103. He even dwarfs Colossus here!

    - Mike from Trinidad & Tobago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groove you did it again: made me nostalgic for the 70s ("sniff"). You should also cover Cockrum's Legion of Super-Heroes work if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my job, Bryan--to make ya nostalgic for the 70s! I've done couple Cockrum/Legion posts, but I could stand to do a lot more. Stay tuned!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!