Friday, November 2, 2012

Making a Splash: Kull the Conqueror

Hey, hey, hey, Groove-ophiles! Ya know how Ol' Groove loves the creations of Robert E. Howard? Well, that sincere admiration has me in the mood to plant my peepers on a stack of sensational and savage splash pages featuring REH's King Kull. Wanna join me? Today I'm focusing on Kull's earliest Marvel appearances from Creatures on the Loose, Monsters on the Prowl, and (duh!) Kull the Conqueror. The art's by Berni Wrightson, Ross Andru and Wally Wood, and Marie and John Severin (plus Marie teamed with Frank Chiaramonte), ya know. Oh, you're gonna dig these splashes...










4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Groove. If you could work it in sometime, I would enjoy seeing the Kull story from Monsters on the Prowl 16 again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the artwork in this series a lot. And while I'm glad that Dark Horse got this material back into print, I wish they'd done a better job on the production. It came out muddy and lacked the sparkle I expect from modern collections.

    Great splashes though! Especially the drama of "A King Came Riding".

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Crom, I do indeed dig these splash pages. Thanks, Groove!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Rip Jagger, I was really disappointed by the quality of the Dark Horse reprints of the Severins' artwork. They definitely seemed not to have been re-colored.

    I assume Dark Horse predicted they wouldn't sell very many copies and so couldn't afford to get them re-colored. Personally, I'd be more than happy to pay Marvel Masterworks prices for a library-binding hardback re-colored collection.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!