Monday, November 19, 2012

Groove's Faves: "Death in High Places!" by Wolfman, Boring, and Chua

What it is, Groove-ophiles! When writer Roy Thomas revamped Captain Marvel with ish #17 back in 1969, he did it with a bit more than a wink and nod back at the Original Captain Marvel of the Golden Age. A hero named Captain Marvel with a second identity as a  young male orphan? Check. Said YMO dresses in red, blue, and gold? Check. When editor Roy Thomas shepherded Captain Marvel back into Marvel's line-up in 1972 with ish #22, he added a new supporting character, Professor Savannah. Yeah, Marvel was getting pretty bold there, huh? Think that's something? In CM #24 (October 1972), Thomas, along with writer Marv Wolfman and artists Wayne (1950s Superman) Boring and Ernie (Chan) Chua gave Mar-Vell a new villain: Mister Doctor Mynde. Instead of an intelligent worm, Mr. Dr. Mynde was the living head of a man placed on a synthetic body. Cuh-reepy, huh? The tale was indeed creepy and a bit scary and sad as well. Young Groove loved it. I still have a soft spot for it. What do you think?
Cover art by Gil Kane and Frank Giacoia





















12 comments:

  1. Isn't it strange (but good) to see Wayne Boring's art in a Marvel comic? I've got the Thor one he drew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a trip seeing these (rather few) issues of Marvel books drawn by Boring - he also did an issue of Thor some years later. And I have to say, I like his Marvel work much better than any of that 1950s Superman art that was reprinted in so many of those digests in 1970s. Does that make me a bad person?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thiseth issueth ofeth Thor thou speakest of: http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2010/08/grooves-faves-crisis-on-twin-earths.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. SPEAKING OF THE big Red cheese/ CAPT.Marvel aka Shazam. I always thought Doc Samson from the Incredible Hulk #141. Samson's alter ego resembled Roy Thomas & Samson was a bit Capt.Marvel like. I even saw one of the original pgs published I believe in Alter-Ego years ago. On the top of the page someone had written Shazam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always saw Doc Samson as an homage to Capt.Triumph from the Golden Age/ Crack Comics...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought of Doc Samson as a sort of Doc Savage type with the same tailor as the Golden Age Captain Marvel and Flash!

      Delete
  6. Look at that last page - those are still Ernie Chua's (Chan's) inks, but the Captain Marvel figures don't look like Wayne Boring pencils. I've always wondered if Jim Starlin might've re-drawn them as a sort of warm-up for his next issue premiere. Look at the other Captain Marvel figures on other pages throughout that issue - they look like Wayne Boring figures, but not on that last page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent eysight, Groove-ophile! I do believe you are absoposivolutely right about Judo Jim drawing that last page! Wonder if the story was to have been continued...or perhaps Boring refused to draw a suicide scene...or hmmmmmmmm...?

      Delete
  7. Mar-Vell was always one of my favorite characters, around far too brief a time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hold up -- Captain Marvel from SHAZAM! doesn't sport any blue in his uniform, as far as I can see (Captain Marvel Jr. does, though), and I don't recall him having a second identity as an orphan...am I missing something? Please enlighten me, O Grooviest of Groovy ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never mind; I misread the quote -- but I still don't remember the YMO...whud I miss?

    ReplyDelete
  10. YMO=Young Male Orphan: Billy Batson/Rick Jones. Sorry for the confusion, Bud!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!