Sunday, October 11, 2009

Weird Sunday Funnies: Spooky the Tuff Little Ghost

When I was a Little Groove, I really dug Harvey Comics' kids line, especially the "bad boys" Hot Stuff and Spooky. I can remember buying Tuff Ghosts #38 (July 1970) from the old, reliable King Kwik on one of those summertime trips for comics, candy, and 7-Up. I probably bought it for the race-car cover (loved Wacky Races and Hot Wheels back then), and kept it for the funny, Spooky's-powers-don't-work-right stories. I always loved the fact that Spooky really, really loved to scare people, and his girlfriend, Poil, really, really annoyed me 'cause she didn't want him to scare people. Li'l Groove couldn't understand why they hung out together--of course, back then, I couldn't understand why a guy would hang out with a girl, anyway. They were for chasing! Anyway, the kid in me still gets a chuckle from Spooky's mis-adventures. I hope you'll dig 'em, too.

2 comments:

  1. Groovy: I love the Harvey stuff then, and I love it now. The stories you've shown here are great, all drawn (I believe) by Harvey God, Warren Kremer. Man, I love that stuff. -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the number of hits DotGK got on this post, a lot of folks dig Harvey's stuff. More to come!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!